Tuesday, June 22, 2010

June 22 - Started This Week

Soooooooooooooooo, it started this week.

Yesterday, my 1/2 marathon training started. The best part? It was a rest day. So I can walk around and tell people I started training for a 1/2 marathon, but actually I didn't run yesterday....at all. I'm not really quite sure how that works, but I do enjoy telling people I'm training for a 1/2 marathon, when I hadn't even put on my running shoes. I look like a total stud.

The first run was this morning. 6:20 am. 2 miles. 13:34 minutes per mile. As my students say, Easy Peezy Lemon Squeezy Motha F*cka! Well, they don't say the last part...usually it's Easy Peezy Lemon Squeezy, ya f*ckin prick! I work in a tough district. 16 white kids, it's insanity. I don't know how I'm still standing after my first year.

So anyway, I go on this run this morning. Wait a minute, 2 miles at 13:34, that's more of a yog. So I go on this yog this morning and I decide to take a road I've never taken. I'm so happy I did because I found this awesome road with a sidewalk that passed a pond and then a lake. Very relaxing. I was so happy to find a place to run near water, but then I also realized what an idiot am....

For the past 6 weeks, I've been searching for a pond near my place so I could find tadpoles for the Pond Life Unit I was teaching. I mean I say I've been searching, I really just kept my eyes peeled during my drive home. However, I told my students that I'd been searching night and day for these damn tadpoles. (Side note: this was after I'd killed the 20 tadpoles a student of mine had already brought in. Woops.)

I finally asked another teacher where there was a pond near the school and she gave me directions. Where I work is in the middle of nowhere. In fact, it's so in the middle of nowhere, my Garmin, aka Glorious Gloria the Garmin, does not recognize most of the back roads. If the Garmin can't find it, this blonde sure, as hell can't. I was lost for a solid 20 minutes, when I came across a pond. (I have no clue if it's the one I was even looking for.)

So I get out of the car and realize I have to hike a good quarter mile in heels, black pants, and as a colleague of mine calls it, my club shirt. The typical hikers stared, but I liked it. Again, I looked like a stud.

I make my hike, roll up my pants, squish through the mud, and scoop up these damn tadpoles. I forgot to mention it was the night of our Celebration of Learning where all parents were joining my students and I to showcase what we've learned. Muddy feet + humid day + hungover from AC Bachelorette Party = Fabulous Teacher.

If only I started this 1/2 marathon training earlier...I could've avoided this entire mess and got these tadpoles a mile from my apartment.

Training will resume tomorrow. Lucky for me...it's another rest day! Spinning, here I come...

No comments:

Post a Comment