Friday, July 9, 2010

Master C of the Jedi Training Academy


So I'm not hating running anymore. I did 5 miles on the treadmill last night and I was fine with it. I was watching ESPN newscasters bash Lebron for about an hour, so it kept me somewhat interested. I was thinking, if I could watch this while I run and be somewhat distracted, I wonder how many miles I could run if I was watching, say...the Bachelorette? Or....Grey's Anatomy? I could possibly be a marathon runner at this point.

Today, I'm feeling the slight oncoming of medial tibial stress syndrome. For those of you non-medical friends of mine...shin splints. I found this on the internet:

"The risk of shin splints is no reason to give up your morning jog or afternoon aerobics class. Most cases of shin splints can be treated with rest, ice and other self-care measures — and wearing proper footwear and modifying your exercise routine can help prevent shin splints from recurring."

So I'm guessing the fact that I still have not bought new running shoes might be a part of the reason I'm getting shin splints. I also have had a total of 6 blisters on two of my toes. So I will be heading to the store today for a new pair of running shoes. The internet quote says to not give up your morning jog, but to treat shin splints with rest and other self-care measures. I will rest and not run today as I'm treating my very serious condition. Instead, I will my-boyfriend's-last-name a couple laps in the pool. The internet also says "other self-care measures" which I have taken to mean alcohol. So I will be heading out around 5pm to sip on some self-care measure.

Now before I head out to the pool, I have to share what one of my students said today. Maggie Hogan and I are teaching a Jedi Training Academy course in Bethel this summer. The kids are...enthusiastic...about Star Wars. We'll leave it at that. This one boy, who is actually hilarious, almost made me pee myself today. We're sitting in a group coming up with a play and he says, "Master C, can I please go in the other room so I can fart?"

I'll leave you with that...and yes, they call me Master C.

No comments:

Post a Comment